Friday, July 10, 2015

9 things I learned from my Whole30


(I wasn't a fan of the #dumpranch at first, but soon enough I was putting it on everything)

During the month of June I decided to do the Whole30 challenge/diet. I have some health things that I knew loosing a little bit of weight would help. I also knew NOTHING about self control when it comes to snacks and sweets. I've always eaten when I'm hungry. That's just the way it's been since...well, probable since I was born. So I jumped all in, without having read the book of what the whole diet is about. Basically the only info I had on it was from a friend who was updating everyday of her Whole30 and Pinterest. [Side note: I did end up borrowing the book from the library. I read about the first quarter of it before I lost interest.] This friend was fixing food that didn't look horrible (for how healthy it was supposed to be) and I thought, "I can handle that." So here goes 9 things I learned during the month of June. 

1. I DON'T HAVE TO EAT MY CRAVINGS. I WILL CONTINUE TO LIVE EVEN IF I DON'T GET WHAT I WANT.
I grew up getting mostly everything I wanted. I wasn't the worst when it came to bratty kids, but I was most definitely spoiled. I have recently see that this has even carried over into the food category of my life. I'll be honest, during the last month I might've thrown more than one temper tantrum. But you know what? I made it through alive.  Go figure.

2. I CAN COOK "BETTER" NOW.
Or at least I feel like I can. Most of the last, almost, two years of marriage (hooray!) I've made most of my meals for myself. Husband and I are rarely home at the same time apart from weekends, so most nights I eat alone. Needless to say, I haven't had a whole lot of practice cooking after I moved out (baking is a much different story). This gave me the chance (and need) to cook for husband and I whether I wanted to or not. Practice, practice, practice. He would be the first to tell you that not everything I cooked was good, but most of it was at least edible. 

3. I STILL DON'T LOVE BLACK COFFEE.
I know this probably sounds silly, but I didn't grow to love black coffee like I originally thought I would during all this. I did however learn what the different coffee roasts actually taste like (and they are not ALL created equal) because I wasn't drowning them is sugary creamer. If I'm being completely honest, creamer is what I missed the most. 

4. HOMEMADE PALEO MAYO IS LITERALLY THE BEST.
I am thinking this is something I will continue to make on the reg. I ate it with literally everything (I'm a dipper. I love to dip pretty much anything I eat in at least one type of sauce) and it didn't have any of the extra crap store bought mayo has (seriously, take a look sometime at the label for that stuff. Nasty!). Baked potatoes cut up, pan fried with a little ghee or coconut  oil and a couple fried eggs with a dollop of this stuff was my proverbial bread&butter breakfast go-to most of the month. I used this recipe.

5. PMS IS NO EXCUSE.
I always thought that i craved terrible foods because of my hormones every month... Although they may be a bit louder than usual during this time, I think I was just craving back foods because I was addicted to them and my girly issues were my excuse. 

6. ON THE AVERAGE, I ACTUALLY LIKE MOST VEGETABLES.
I know, I know, I'm 25 and I should be eating my greens on a regular basis on my own, but I don't wanna (said in a super winy voice). Through my Whole30 though, I was really surprised to find out that I didn't mind eating mostly veggies. I found a new love for romaine lettuce and sweet potatoes (not together, ew). I also felt more adventurous to try new types of fruits and vegetables which I plan to continue.


7. WHEN I EAT BETTER, I FEEL BETTER.
You would think this would go without saying, but after eating Mexican food without reservation today, I really on the whole, feel better. And there's no like way to describe the better I felt. Just overall, better. 


8. IT IS POSSIBLE FOR ME TO LOSE WEIGHT WITHOUT STARVING MYSELF.
I know it's not all about how much weight you lose, and honestly, I don't think anyone can tell but me. But isn't that what counts? I feel like I look better even though I only lost a few pounds. Confidence, man. And I wasn't even exercising regularly or starving myself and it happened! That's a small win for my brain machine. 

9. IT'S POSSIBLE TO SAY "NO" BUT IT ISN'T ALWAYS EASY.
I really learned how to say "no thank" this past month. And I'll be completely honest, there were a couple days that it either wasn't possible for me to eat Whole30 compliant or it was rude. That might sound like an excuse but when it's Father's Day and the only thing your father wants is a KFC style family picnic at his favorite park, how do you say no to that?! And also weddings right after you get off work and when your in-laws take you out to eat. Life can't be avoided sometimes. I learned to say "no thank you" and I also learned to forgive myself for that one meal wasn't completely compliant (and it's not like my tummy didn't punish me for it later anyways.)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment